- 13 Years of IT experience in Analysis, Design, Development, Testing and Support of Cognos Business Intelligence Applications including Cognos 10.x, 8.x Cognos Series 7.
- Extensive experience with the Cognos 10.x, 8.x Framework Manager, Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio and good knowledge on Metric Studio , Cognos ReportNet 1.x Framework Manager, Report Studio, Query Studio Impromptu Administrator, Impromptu Web Reports IWR , PowerPlay, Transformer, PowerPlay Enterprise Server OLAP .
- Expertise in Version Upgradation of Cognos suite such as Cognos 7.3 and Migrating ReportNet reports and Impromptu into Cognos 8 BI using Migration Utilities.
- Good knowledge in OLTP/OLAP System Study, Analysis and ER Modeling, Maintain Database Schemas like Star Schema and Snowflake Schema used in relational and dimensional modeling.
- Expertise in creating Presentation/Business Layers in Framework Manager Metadata models and published packages to Cognos Connection in Cognos 10/8x and ReportNet.
- Hands-on experience in building Multidimensional Cubes using Power Play and Transformer.
- Experience in designing and implementing enterprise wide Reporting strategies utilizing Business Intelligence BI , Data Warehouse, Data Analysis, Data Modeling, Data Mining techniques and extensive skills in OLTP/OLAP.
- Knowledge and hands on experience in Cognos TM1.
- Extensive experience using various data sources such as Oracle 10g/9i/8i, MS SQL Server 2005/2000, DB2, MS Access and Flat Files Data.
- Extensive experience in Data Warehousing tools including , Informatica, and Data Modeling Tools like Erwin using Oracle, MS SQL Server databases
- Proficient in using best practices to support the reporting activities. Adept in using performance tuning and optimization techniques such as load balancing, table weighing, and partitioning.
- Strong Writing and documentation skills for management, development and control of documentation.
- Handled different types of domains like Finance, Banking, Healthcare, Pharmaceuticals and Retail/wholesale sectors.
- Strong knowledge in using Agile methodology, Kanban and waterfall for software development
- Sound knowledge of different phases of software development life cycle SDLC including analysis, design, development, testing and maintenance.
- Ability to work in teams, Self-motivated and comfortable working in a dynamic environment that demands multi-tasking.
- Experience in working with off-shore team, onsite support teams and Knowledge transfer.
- Excellent analytical, co-ordination, interpersonal, leadership, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Applications and Systems Knowledge
Operating Systems: Windows 7,Windows Server 2003, Windows XP/2000/NT Servers, Windows 95/98/NT/Me/XP/Vista Workstations, MS DOS
Databases: Oracle 11/10g/9i/8i, MS SQL Server 2000/2005, DB2, Teradata, MS Access 97/2000/2007
Application Servers: IIS, Apache, Citrix MetaFrame
Financial Applications: Merit, CREST, Peter Evans, CMS, Bloomberg ,Tally ,Minitab, PACE Eagle,
Business Intelligence Tools: Cognos 10.X/8.X Framework manager, Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Cognos Workspace, Cognos Workspace Advance, Event Studio, Cognos Connection, Power play , Cognos TM19.4/9.5,Cognos ReportNet 1.1 Report Studio, Query Studio, Framework Manager Cognos 7.x series Impromptu, Power play, Power play Transformer, Power play Enterprise Server, Upfront, Impromptu Web Reports
Tools: Data stage, Control-M,MS Office, MS Visio
Content management: Share Point
CRM: Siebel CRM and
Other BI Tools: Tableau, Google Analytics, Big Data, SPSS, Cristal Reports, R
Project Profiles and Employment History
Lead Cognos Developer
- Understanding existing business model and customer requirements.
- Work with project managers, business analysts and end users to understand business requirements and translating them to technical specifications.
- Interacted with the Users for collecting their requirements for developing metadata models
- Developed standard reports and analytics to meet the needs of business users.
- Proven experience building ad-hoc and complex reports using prompts and parameters in Report Studio and Query Studio.
- Initialized and successfully implemented the DMR technique against relational data sources.
- Involved in designing and creating various projects in Framework Manager.
- Developed FM diagrams and FM mapping documents.
- Promoting the BI contents between different environments using administration feature in Cognos connection.
- Involved in setting up sign-on for Groups/Roles to secure the Models and packages.
- Customized data by adding Filters Prompts, Calculations, Summaries and Functions.
- Created List in Reports and Cross Tab Reports and Dashboards drill through tree prompts.
- Performed audit for various key reports to check the performance of the dashboard reports and necessary SQL tuning.
- Worked directly with LOB to fix Production and performance issue
- Customized Reports using HTML and JAVA SCRIPTS.
- Knowledge in working with Active Reports
- Designed models using Framework Manager and deployed packages to the Cognos 10.1 Servers.
- Validation of Framework Manager Model.
- Integrated Cognos TM1 with Cognos BI and developed Fund Performance, Risk, forecast analytics reports and other reports based on client request
- Extensively involved in designing the Dashboards.
- Designed Functional Requirement Specifications for report development, modified relationships between different database tables and building models using Framework Manager.
- Communicated with the business users to comprehend the requirements.
- Created standard and Ad hoc reports using Cognos Query Studio and Analysis studio
- Created Reports to evaluate the business performance based on various key performance indicators.
- Customizing Cognos Connection Portal based on user specifications.
- Created database layer and business layer and implementing the FM modeling best practices.
- Developed list, cross tab, drill through, master-detail, chart and complex reports which involved Multiple Prompts, Filters, multi-page, multi-query, Burst Reports against database.
- Created custom prompted reports in Report Studio, Bursting reports to different user groups.
- Administered tasks such as Scheduling, Deployment, and Dispatchers.
- Responsible for code migration across environments DEV, SIT, UAT, Prod .
- Tuned server performance by adjusting the level of logging, grouping dispatchers in configuration folders, setting the dispatcher load balancing mode, maximizing usage during peak hours and setting queue time limits.
- Prepared User Manuals for training the users.
- Trained users on adhoc reporting and report studio.
- Involved in a data migration process between different versions of Cognos
- Upgrade the report and packages version of COGNOS from 8.4 to 10 and participate in the regression testing and unit testing.
- Involved and supported SharePoint and Cognos integration
- Facilitate scrum grooming, sprint planning, retrospectives, daily stand-ups, etc. on need basis
- Manage backlog, prioritize resolution of defects/bugs, Monitor and update regularly Burn down charts
Sr. Cognos Developer
- Work closely with clients to understand, gather and document Business Requirements and develop technical specifications and deployed efficient Business Intelligence solutions.
- Interacts with Management and Development teams to gather Business requirements for new models.
- Work Extensive with Framework Manager in creating Business views from Oracle based Data Warehouse, Cognos Cubes, Excel Spreadsheets and Flat Files. The objective is to have a single reporting front end and make the underlying data source transparent to the end user.
- Create packages in Framework Manager and manage the Cognos Connection Security using Capabilities restricting access by Roles and Groups and Implementing Data level, Object level and Package level security depending on the security needs of the target end users.
- Migration of existing Crystal Reports to Cognos 8.4.
- Assist in the ongoing migration of the Cognos environment from Cognos v7 to a consolidated Cognos v8 environment in the new data center.
- Migrate existing Cognos series 7 applications to Cognos 8.4.
- Create Dashboards, Drill Through, Trends Analysis and Metrics Scorecards using Report and Analysis Studio and Metrics Designer and Metrics Studio.
- Create reports with Cascaded Prompts and Tree Prompts to define data hierarchy and also to minimize user errors.
- Responsible for creating custom Dashboard pages using Cognos portlets.
- Use Cognos SDK for customizing and integrating Cognos reports on the company's Intranet Portal.
- Work on Performance Tuning of Cognos to confirm that the Reporting System was performing at its optimum level of performance.
- Deploy the Reports, Packages dashboards from testing environment to production environment.
- Create multi-dimensional cubes using Power Play Transformer and deploy the same along with reports using PowerPlay Enterprise Server.
- Create Calculated Measures in Transformer and maintained Dimension level Security for Cubes in Power Play Transformer.
- Modify complex reports to reflect the users ever changing requirements to present the data at different slices.
- Remove hard coding in scripts wherever possible to keep the application generic in the volatile environment.
- Train users group to create, edit, and modify and customize the reports.
Sr. Cognos Developer
- Responsible for complete range of BI capabilities: report, analysis, score card, dashboards and business event management.
- Develop Framework Manager Models with physical layer, business layer, and presentation layer.
- Fine-tune the queries for performance purpose and enhanced the performance of the reports.
- Manage scheduling of reports, distribution lists, users groups and roles using Cognos Connection in Cognos 8.
- Create and Run Schedule Reports and Jobs using Schedule Management in Cognos Connection.
- Work on performance tuning and optimization techniques such as load balancing, table weighing and partitioning.
- Monitor Audit Reporting based on users, reports, and packages.
- Create Static Choice value prompts, Conditional Variables Boolean and String and Conditional Blocks associated with these variables to display/hide columns and queries based on user's selection in Prompt page.
- Develop Complex reports from technical specifications like Dynamic Grouping, Dynamic Sorting, Conditional Formatting and Pre Select Columns.
- Provide production support for existing Reports and Cubes in a timely manner.
- Perform comprehensive Unit testing by comparing the Cognos reports against the database using SQL and documented the same.
- Involve in System and Integration testing as required to provide a quality product.
- Provide technical support, training, and mentoring to Users and Business Partners and a part of Cognos User Group Advisor.
Sr. Cognos Developer
- Analyze the functionality and business requirement and transforms the Functional Design Document into Technical Design Document.
- Involved in Modeling and Reporting against a Warehouse OLAP which is in the form of a Star Schema EMO -Energy Market Operation Model .
- Develop dimensionally model relational for Standard Reporting, Ad-hoc reporting and for Multi Dimensional Analysis using multi layer Approach and Modeling best Practices to meet the reporting requirements.
- Rationalize existing systems and procedures to correct deficiencies and maintain more effective data handling, conversion, input/output requirements, and storage.
- Create Model Query Subjects, Data Source Query Subjects, Stand alone and Embedded Filters to implement the complex business logic.
- Create new Query Subjects by executing database Stored Procedures in Framework Manager.
- Involve in design and development of security architecture to meet the business needs.
- Implement internal Cognos Security - Column Level, Row Level Security using Security tables to secure sensitive data with Security Filter, Macros, Session Parameters and Parameter Maps.
- Develop hierarchies and measures to support Ad-hoc Reporting, Multi Dimensional Reporting.
- Implement various reporting Techniques like Drill up, Drill down and Drill through Functionality, Conditional Formatting, Conditional Blocks, Conditional Layouts, Dynamic Grouping and Sorting, Master-Detail and secure the reports and folders to specific user groups.
- Ensure ambiguous relationships are resolved and implement model enhancement techniques to improve model performance.
- Generate SQL/MDX and analyzed Cognos SQL, Native SQL to trouble shoot the report issues.
- Involve in tuning the performance of reports using performance tuning techniques and ensured that reports run faster.
- Perform unit testing and test data to ensure that it obtains the actual results.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation of the implementation.
Sr. Cognos Developer
- Involved in understanding existing Business Model and Customer requirements by participating in the Design Phase and user requirement gathering and documenting the requirements in order to design, develop and maintain Cognos reports.
- Implemented Data Level Security through Framework Manager.
- Developing Chart Reports, Drill Through Reports, Master Detail Reports and Multiple Reports and dash Board.
- Rationalize existing systems and procedures to maintain more effective data handling, conversion, input/output requirements, and storage.
- Creating Conditional formatting, Prompts, calculations and Filters of the reports.
- Developed Standard and reusable templates using Report Studio.
- Created HR, sales and financial reports.
- Bursting Reports in Cognos Environment and sending by mail.
- Providing technical assistance, training and mentoring to Users and Business Partners.
- Involved in installation and configuration of Cognos 8.4.
- Set up Security by creating Namespaces and User Provided Privileges to the Users and User Groups.
- Used the Scheduling Management option in the Cognos connection to schedule the reports.
- Involved with Scheduling and Distributing Reports through Schedule Management in Cognos Connection and Bursting reports to different user groups.
- Exporting packages from development to production environment using Cognos Content Administration.
- Involved in creation of mappings to the reports depending on users, groups and roles.
Cognos Developer/Business Analyst
- Designing Functional Requirement Specifications for Report development, Modified relationships between different database tables and building models using Framework Manager.
- Working on Framework Manager to import data from heterogeneous data sources and creating models packages as per business requirement.
- Implemented package, object and data security in Framework Manager.
- Developing different kinds of reports using calculations, conditional formatting, exception highlighting, static choices, style variables, dynamic grouping, Conditional Blocks, Dynamic level filters on the reports in different formats PDF, HTML, XML and Excel using Report Studio.
- Creating Master-Detail reports which has parameterized detail query or filtered detail query based on the requirements in Report studio.
- Developed drill-through, roll-up and drill-down reports using dimensional data sources.
- Run, view and analyze the reports in different formats, testing the reports for data accuracy and consistency and testing all the reports with Generated SQL and Manual SQL data.
- Tested the reports developed in Report Studio and verified the data in TOAD and comparing the results.
- Involved with Scheduling and Distributing Reports through Schedule Management.
- Deployment of packages, folders and Reports from Development environment to Production environment using Content Administrator.
- Helped and trained the users in developing simple reports using Query Studio.
- Resolved the issues in existing reports and successfully documented the changes.
- Interacted with the users to gather the requirements and developed the reports in order to fit the needs.
- Developed several Impromptu catalogs and created several Impromptu Reports out of it.
- Developed simple and complex reports using Impromptu and presented the results to the users. Created user classes, catalog, prompts conditions, calculations in Impromptu.
- Restricted user access to the reports with help of User Class Privileges.
- Improved the performance by using table weighting, query performance, client server balancing. Published Impromptu reports to Upfront and made them available to users.
- Enhanced reports by sorting, grouping, associating columns, and customizing data with adding calculations, summaries, and functions.
- Developed Powerplay cubes using Transformer 7.4 and analyzed it using Powerplay.
- Sliced and diced several powerplay reports.
- Understanding client need and software requirement Specifications.
- Generation every month payroll.
- Prepared periodic statement and auditing reports using Tally.
- Developed data tables using MS Access.