- Accomplished senior - level IT, Technology, and Manufacturing professional with 18 years of experience, skilled in various facets of documentation and system development including: Business and Systems Analysis, Requirements Gathering, Project/Team Leadership, Quality Assurance, Documentation, and Testing.
- Most recently Mark has been working as a technical writer for Confidential to support the software development for the Data Management and Analytics division of Confidential . He was responsible for writing and editing paper-based and online documentation supporting the INFO1 data warehouse management software for the banking industry.
- During the development phase, he analyzed, created, wrote, maintained, and updated all of the technical documentation and published this information on both SharePoint and Confluence Wiki sites. Mark also used Dreamweaver to update the Mortgage Banking procedures on InfoSource, which was Confidential ’s online Wikipedia of banking procedures.
- Mark has spent 20 of his years as a documentation specialist performing requirements analysis, technical writing, editing, and instructional designing on a wide variety of software, hardware, and mechanical platforms, and organizational policies and procedures.
- His e-based systems involved writing and designing graphics, animations, video clips, user-interactions, and performance evaluations, and then combining them into a cohesive unit. Mark’s paper-based documentation and training materials have been used by an extremely diverse set of users—from retail sales clerks with little or no computer training, to field technicians and mechanics with extensive hands-on training, to systems architects that held advanced degrees in communications who were redesigning the entire land-based phone system for Japan.
- Mark also has a background in user-interface and end-user testing and evaluation and has served as a project editor and was a member of an ISO9001 certification team.
Documentation Specialist / Content Manager
- Technical Writer contracting with Confidential, supporting software development for Confidential & Co.
- Created, maintained, and administered print-based and online system documentation for our SharePoint library for a financial data warehouse management software system
- Developed an online Wiki presence that supported the INFO1 data warehouse software used by the banking development community and served as our group’s local Confluence / Wiki administrator
- Evaluated, revised, combined, and reduced existing support materials from 175 documents containing over 5200 pages to 24 chapters containing approximately 500 pages.
- Served as both a subject matter expert and conduit between the end-user community and the Confidential software development team for the full lifecycle of the product
- Requirements Analyst contracting with Northrop’s Information Systems sector, supporting software development for the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) of the Department of Defense (DoD)
- Served as both a subject matter expert and conduit between the DLA’s customer community and the Confidential software development team for the full lifecycle of the product
- Created design documents and related system documentation for List Management, a DoD parts management system being upgraded and enhanced by the development team
- Developed both the paper-based user guides and online Help systems used by the federal stakeholders
- Wrote and executed software test plans and cases to evaluate the performance and accuracy of the software upgrades
- Used Northrop’s internal service tool to record, track and perform analysis on system issues
Quality Control Editor
- Personally edited and quality-checked both paper- and electronic-based technical publications developed by nearly 250 writers totaling over 43,000 pages of technical material during a 4-year timeframe
- Quality-checked for compliance to ISO9001, industry-specific, and/or customer-specific standards
- Edited documents according to customer-specific style guides and formats to produce hundreds of documents, manuals, parts catalogs, and training materials
- Product platforms ranged from jet aircraft engines and superstructures, to military armored vehicles and helicopters, to commercial food preparation products and home appliances
- Document types included user manuals, E-learning lessons, IETMs, and other publications which were edited for grammar, punctuation, spelling, technical accuracy, electronic integrity, and compliance with customer requirements
Writer / Instructional Design Specialist
- Served as lead subject matter expert for all telecommunications projects comprising over twenty separate courses comprising nearly 180 hours of computer- and web-based training
- Worked as a UI designer creating courseware summaries, performing content analysis, identifying skills gaps, developing learning interventions, and translating UI wireframes for Information Design Plans delivered to the client.
- Utilized an Agile-like approach (before Agile existed) as part of a small, highly successful team that researched, developed, illustrated, and edited story cards and coded instructional courseware
- Used a Kanban-like approach to develop a reusable generic Icon Author software engine for implementation of computer-based training story cards
Technical Writer / Editor
- Served as Lead Technical Writer for major software application solution upgrading and replacing ALL of Japan’s land-based telephone systems
- Led project team for 3 of 11 major application subsystems and was responsible for Daily Stand-Up meetings with software developers and SMEs (subject matter experts) to disseminate changing requirements documentation and development information to a SCRUM-like project management team as well as other team writers
- Personally developed and delivered 11 major user manuals (over 4,500 pages) in one year producing over 27 draft documents before final delivery of both paper-based and online training
- Developed a UNIX program for extracting and formatting raw data for application guides reducing development time by 92%
Technical Publications Specialist
- Designed and developed paper-based documentation for retail store applications
- As UI designer, created a new user interface and menu system prototype to be used for acceptance testing of a new database system
- As document coordinator, developed, coded, and implemented a new production process reducing in-house publication printing costs for the year by 99.9% from over $128,000 to $64.