Accomplished technical and business writer, editor and published author. Noted for making technical material understandable to laymen. Many years of IT consulting for public sector and Confidential 500 clients. Developed the data security program for the world’s largest municipal government. Launched CMMI and PMBOK initiatives. Developed course material and delivered for public and private sector clients. Educated in science, engineering and business.
Confidential, Columbia, MD
- Member of an elite team of technical writers whose assignment was to rewrite all documentation drafted by the software engineers, standardizing terminology and improving spelling, grammar, format and syntax.
- Ensured that the content was clear, complete, accurate and unambiguous, and satisfied the quality standards of the public sector clients.
Confidential, Ellicott City, MD
Technical and Business Writer
- Wrote all documentation for the Automated Plan Payment System, a mission - critical system for Confidential that disbursed one-half of one percent of the entire federal budget.
- This included end-user documentation such as the user guide, agency documentation such as test plans, and internal documentation such as status reports. Supported the system through redevelopment and several years of production.
- Also scribed minutes at meetings and wrote various sections of the (successful) proposal for renewal of the contract.
Confidential, Herndon, VA
Editor and Technical Writer
- Wrote the thousand-page project plan for a data warehouse project for the Administrative Office of the Confidential .
- Edited input from the project team but wrote more than half of the content personally.
- Also created the user guide, operations guide, materials, RoboHelp screens and all other documentation.
- Established standards for style, typography, organization, tables and charts.
- Revised, expanded and edited white papers on data warehousing for Guident.
Confidential, Washington, DC
Editor and Technical Writer
- Created an IT project management handbook for the Comptroller of the Currency, integrating PMBOK knowledge areas with existing best practices and personal experience.
- Was brought in to salvage the project when the incumbent proved incapable.
- Covered communication, quality, resource, risk and schedule management.
- Established standards for style, typography and organization.
- Edited input from colleagues and client staff, but wrote most of the content personally.
Confidential, Chevy Chase, MD
Manager, Editor, Trainer
- Launched a process improvement program to support development of new internet marketing systems.
- Edited a system development methodology and wrote much of the content.
- Developed and delivered courses in software measurement and project estimating using Function Points.
Confidential, Vienna, VA
Management Trainer and Course Developer
- Developed and delivered PMP-track courses in project management to government and private-sector clients.
- Developed the first PMP-track course in software measurement and project estimating using Function Points.
Confidential, McKinleyville, CA
IT Management Consultant, Author, Translator
- Established Y2K policies for a state government department, persuaded them to stand down from a military posture that would have reinforced the public’s sense of alarm.
- Wrote a chapter in a published book on IT management.
Confidential, Stamford, CT
Technical Writer, Trainer, IT Management Consultant
- Analyzed data submitted by public- and private-sector benchmark clients, wrote reports on the state of their IT processes and procedures, recommended improvements.
- Trained client staff in project management, consulted on CMM initiatives.
Confidential, Downey, CA
Writer, Editor, Speaker
- Edited a quarterly newsletter for 1,000 IT staff and several thousand end users.
- Wrote editorials and lead articles, reviewed, revised and edited input from other writers, performed layout and added photos and illustrations.
- Created and delivered presentations on myriad topics for executives and staff.
- Represented the County at professional conferences.
Process Improvement Specialist
- Implemented the Function Point methodology for software measurement and estimating, developed a metrics dashboard for the executive staff, launched the data administration program and customer satisfaction surveys.
Data Security Program Manager
- Wrote the RFP, chaired the vendor selection committee and managed the contract for risk analysis of all IT resources in the world’s largest municipal government.
- Implemented security software, developed procedures and standards, managed the data security staff.
- Developed and delivered classes in software measurement and estimation, relational database theory, programming languages, software debugging, technical and business writing.
Support Manager/Project Manager
- Wrote the RFP and chaired the vendor selection committee for CASE tools.
- Managed application and operating system software development and enhancement projects.
- Managed the computing center support staff.