A position using my writing, organization, planning, diagnostic, and personal relationship skills.
- More than 20 years of technical - writing experience in the computer field:
- Customer and service manuals
- Technical-reference and API manuals
- Architectural manuals
- Installation and option booklets
- Technical writer for company Safety and Security manuals
- Editor and compliance reviewer (regulatory and company policy/procedures)
- Researcher for regulations and guidance
- Safety analyst
- Safety auditor (ISO Lead Auditor training)
- Quick learner; adapts easily to new software tools
- Comfortable working with teams, or working alone
- MS Office
- Corel Perfect Office
- Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
- Work with the architect and programmers to develop a programmer reference for a proprietary compiler, which is based on relational-algebra concepts, used to produce database applications working with large scale databases.
- Run test programs to verify the technical description is complete and correct.
- Monitor compiler development to ensure technical reference was always current.
- Work with developers to produce an API reference manual to be used by outside developers who produce client-side applications that interface with Company web services using XML/WSDL standards.
- Monitor the state of the WSDL for changes.
- Update the reference manual accordingly and maintain a change history.
- Work with Senior Business Manager to develop and document Business Practices and Standard Operating Procedures for the Information Technology Operations and Facilities and Security departments
- Work with engineers, developers, and technicians to produce technical reference information on the operation and design of network and communications infrastructures and component interfaces.
- Develop diagnostic documents that guide Help Desk personnel in:
- Identifying the most probable cause of a system alert
- Determining the next level of escalation
- Gathering additional diagnostic information to forward to the next level
- And in some case, correcting the situation immediately, limiting any interrupts to customer services.
- Use Word and Visio to create documents, online forms, network diagrams, and business flow charts.
- Provide feedback to technical teammates on usability issues.
- Work with developers to produce technical and user documents for database and application tools.
- Used application interface, source code, and interviews with developers to create technical documents of the application program interface.
- Used generated technical reference information to create user-level documents, hard copy and HTML-based Help.
- Provided feedback to development team on usability issues.
- As part of a technical-writing team, develop a set of manuals that document the Company’s compliance with Federal Regulations and guidance:
- Work with content experts to develop content for Company manuals that define the operation, regulation, and procedures for the air carrier and each of its employees
- Perform editor reviews of manuals for grammatical errors and style inconsistencies
- As safety analyst,
- Examine incident and safety reports from crews and maintain records for all issues; then generate reports to Directors and President
- Perform audits of company operational areas to ensure that procedures and controls are being performed properly and that process measurements meet company-defined parameters
- Review manuals for compliance with regulations and adherence to company policies and procedures
- Research Code of Federal Regulations and other regulatory mandates on aviation, security, and hazardous materials to ensure company procedures and policies comply with the regulations
- Develop comprehensive information packages that contain all of the regulations and guidance for specific topics, such as aviation security, hazardous material handling, and domestic reduced vertical-space minimums (RVSM)
- Using research information, assist content experts to develop Company training programs and presentations
- Developing a publication plan to schedule and monitor publication deliverables to ensure product deadlines are met
- Developing a content plan that matches content to the desired audience/user groups
- Researching source information, writing the text, and developing artwork to create the content, following the defined content and schedule guidelines
- Testing the information by editing the text for grammar and layout and testing the content for usability and correctness.
Confidential, Boca Raton
- Update product - specifications documents to include information on new and corrected interfaces.
- Work with developers to gather new information. Worked directly with testing to verify the procedures and descriptions were complete and correct.
- The product consisted of hardware and software to create a network system for integrating telecommunications with cable TV.
- The application interface required the user to work on Windows and Solaris platforms.
- Create user's guide, administrator's guides, and technical references for in-house and client side users.
- Use the product, its product specifications, and information collected in interviews with developers to develop the documents.
- Develop an HTML-based Help system.
- Client-developed applications allow their users to view and monitor network performance from their specific station, which could be running Solaris, Linux, and Windows-based platforms. Creating the Help system in HTML allows the Help to support these multiple platforms.
- Create a set of hardware and software manuals supporting two adapters.
- The hardware manuals described adapter concepts, provided procedures for installing, configuring and troubleshooting, as well as providing specifications and parts.
- The software manual described the procedures for installing and configuring the operating system running on the adapters.
- The hardware product is a computer-in-a-slot adapter. Two adapters, installed in a single host computer, can control two autonomous networks.
- The operating system and applications on each adapter run independent of the host system and other adapters in the system.
- Convert BookMaster documents to FrameMaker documents.
Confidential, Boca Raton
- Develop user and service manuals for network adapters and specialized systems using desktop publisher and drawing tools.
- Convert manuals to on-line books to HTML and PDF presentations.
- Generate flowcharts using Visio and integrate the charts into the manuals.
- Develop company FrameMaker styles and templates.
- Develop user, service, and technical publications for industrial computers and network adapters.
- Create drawings and artwork for publications from engineering drawings.
- Convert printed books to on-line books using HTML and PDF presentations.
- Develop FrameMaker and WordPro templates.
- Develop method for translating graphics from VM system to PC-based system.
Senior Technical Writer
- Develop and managed company service manuals and a parts information database.
- Schedule development of the diskettes and CDs to be shipped with products.
- Help develop processes and process documents for ISO 9000 certification.
- Work with print vendors and disc/diskette replicators .
- Develop company WordPerfect templates.
Information Developer and Team Lead
- Design format of technical-reference library for Confidential personal computers .
- Develop user and technical manuals for personal computers using BookMaster.
- Design, conducted, and monitored user manual tests.
- Conduct peer reviews.
- Manage adherence to corporate information development process.
- Teach various technical writing software tools to peers.
- Work as a member of several architectural groups.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership for all Confidential personal computer publications.
- Perform financial planning and feasibility studies for technical publications group.