To seek a technical writer position where I can grow my career by utilizing my experience in technical writing, instructional design, and IT .
- Several years of experience in the field of technical writing, instructional design, development of instructor - led manuals and user guides, quality assurance, and IT .
- Developed variety of technical and business documentation for clients.
- On all the projects, I was involved in all the stages of system development life cycle.
- Co-authored the Microsoft Press book ECOMMERCE DEVELOPMENT: BUSINESS TO CONSUMER
- Trained IT professionals and end-users.
- Excellent communication skills
SDLC Phase: Documentation/Deliverables
Analysis: Functional Specifications
Requirements: Requirements Specifications, Use Cases, Requirements Traceability Matrix
System Design: Design documents - System Architecture, System Architecture diagrams, Process Flows, User Interface Specifications and Mockups
Test: System Test Plans
Implementation: End user documentation - User guides, Operations Manual, Standard Operating Procedures, Manuals
Operating Systems/Environments: Windows 7.0, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows 3.x, Windows NT 4.0, Windows NT 3.51, UNIX (SCO, AT&T), Novell NetWare 3.11, MS - DOS 6.0
RDBMS: MS SQL Server 7.0, MS SQL Server 6.5, SYBASE 10, SYBASE 4.2
Software: Visual Basic 4.0, Visual C++ 6.0, C, C++, COBOL, FoxPro, MS Site Server 3.0 Commerce Edition, CA Unicenter TNG
Other Tools: MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007, MS Office 2003, MS Project, MS Visual SourceSafe, MS Visio 2010, MS Visio 2007, MS SharePoint, MS FrontPage, MS Project, MadCap Flare, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Adobe Dreamweaver, HyperSnap 6.0, SnagIt, Plum Tree Portal, TortoiseCVS, IBM Lotus Notes, IBM Rational ClearQuest
Technical Writer Leader/Trainer
- Developing material, SOPs and Medical Bill Operations Manual in support of a new medical bill processing system that processes bills for three Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) under the Department of Labor (DOL) using one centralized process to handle all bill processing functions including claimant eligibility, claimant bill development, bill scan and data entry, adjustments, authorization of services, bill pricing, bill resolution, provider enrollment and maintenance, and appeals processing.
- Researching, writing, editing, and proofreading technical data for use in documents or sections of documents such as manuals, standard operating procedures, medical bill operations manual, functional specifications, and requirements specifications. Reviewing and revising documents prepared by others.
- Establishing and creating style guidelines and standards for various documents to meet business needs
- Assisting the Development team in tracking Development gaps with regards to implementation requirements using Rational ClearQuest
- Assisting the Requirements team with gap analysis of Functional Specifications documents to ensure that each of the implementation requirements map to a business requirement
- Recording meeting minutes for all technical conference calls with vendor companies on the contract
- Ensuring products meet deadlines, quality standards and client needs
- Interviewing programmers, engineers, developers, and other technical personnel. Developing documentation based upon information gathered.
- Providing leadership and work guidance to less experienced personnel
Sr. Technical Writer/Editor
- Attending JAD sessions to gather requirements
- Preparing functional and Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM) documents
- Performing technical writing and editing
- Establishing documentation guidelines, procedures and templates
- Creating system test plans
- Creating user manuals, tutorials, quick guides, system architecture and design documents, SOPs to document operating procedures, governance plans, risk management plans in addition to documenting meeting minutes and lessons learned. Applied Section 508 accessibility requirements to all MS Word documents and PDFs.
- Providing documentation required for an enterprise-wide effort to migrate ED’s Intranet ColdFusion site to a new SharePoint site
- Providing functional and regression testing support
- Supporting the development of documentation for the System Development Life Cycle and the Enterprise Life Cycle
- Ensuring technical documentation is accurate, complete, meeting editorial and government specifications and adhere to standards for quality, graphics, coverage, format and style
- Conducting customer
- Responsible for the following documentation/deliverables while working through the various projects:
Confidential, Washington, DC
- Providing documentation required for the Fund’s ongoing ISO 27001 exercise
- Interviewing team members to collect technical information about the Fund workstation configuration
- Documenting the Fund standard workstation configuration
- Documenting the software applications and systems used to develop and maintain the Fund standard workstation configuration
- Maintaining the desktop infrastructure team’s Intranet web site
Confidential, Washington, DC
- Coordinating development of project technical documentation, including creating and monitoring documentation schedules in conjunction with the overall project schedule
- Preparing application life cycle documentation for in-house developed Web-based applications.
- Interviewing developers to elicit relevant information pertaining to applications, in order to produce written documentation
- Producing all major projects technical documentation including user guides, manuals, business process flows, meeting minutes, requirements document, design document including system architecture, frequently asked questions, quick cards, and test documents
- Maintaining project documentation library using version control
- Ensuring that documentation is accurate, complete, meets editorial specifications, and adheres to standards for quality, graphics, coverage, format, and style
- Developing and maintaining documentation guidelines, procedures, and templates
- Assisting QA Manager with process-related documentation to support process improvement initiatives
- Reviewing and editing documentation produced by technical and non-technical personnel
Sr. Technical Writer/Instructional Designer
Confidential, Columbia, MD t
- Team and project management
- Creating analysis and design documents
- Information searching and research
- Writing technical content/documentation for multiple audience profiles.
- Used MS Word for creating documents and MS Visual Source Safe for version control
- Developing other course components including hands-on labs, self-check questions, job aids, glossary, and media (demos and animations)
- Reviewing and testing for technical validity and functionality.
- Used MS RAID Software/database to report, assign, and resolve bugs.
- Responsibilities included analysis and design, developing course content, and validating content.
Lead Technical Writer
- Led teams of instructional designers and was involved in the development of instructor-led material of Visual Basic 4.0, Internet technologies, and Microsoft Office 97 for end-users. Responsibilities included leading teams, project management, providing subject matter expertise, designing and reviewing course deliverables.
- Developed instructor-led material of UNIX, Sybase 10, Windows NT 3.51, and Networking. Responsibilities included designing, developing, and reviewing courses. Also assisted and trained new members joining the team.
- Trained IT professionals and end-users at Confidential centers. Subjects taught include:
- Programming languages such as COBOL, FoxPro, C and C++
- Database Management Systems such as PC-Focus and Sybase
- UNIX, Windows 3.1, and Windows 95
- Systems Analysis and Design, Object Oriented Analysis and Design