Hands - on Technical Writer/Editor with 10+ years’ experience in technical writing and editing, technical publications management, graphics, web input, instructional design, program/project management, fundraising, & marketing communications. Versatile team player known for clear and correct effective content that permits both technical and consumer users to become productive fast.
Systems/Platforms/Servers: Mac, PC, MS DOS, Microsoft Windows, UNIX; Linux; Sun Solaris, Sparc Workstations; Matrox Editing Station, Confidential 725/735; Cisco, Apache, VMware, Agile
Applications: MS Word 2003/2010, Acrobat, Agile/Perforce/CMS, MS Project, MS Excel (VBA), Oracle, MS SharePoint, HyperCam, Lotus ScreenCam, Wikis (Confluence), Caffe, CorelDRAW, InDesign, FrameMaker, (some WebWorks), RoboHELP, Visio, Illustrator, VBInterDev, Milestones, PVCS Tracker, Jira, CVS, Photoshop, Quark Xpress, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Dreamweaver, Visual Source Safe (VSS), FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Paint Shop Pro, PDM/ERP, InstallShield, ToolBook/Authorware, Fullshot/HiJack/SnagIt, Remedy/Magic, PageMaker, RoboHELP, WinHelp/WebHelp/HTML Help, HTML, CSS, SGML, XML, multiple bug tracking applications
Industries: Software, hardware, biotech, pharmaceuticals, medical apparatus and instrumentation, medical research, IVD, cloud computing, storage, firewalls, banking, credit, retail, networking, machine-learning, protocols, semiconductors, fiber-optic technology, NMS, EMS, IP, packet processing, protocols, security and encryption, EDI, embedded systems, ASIC technology (system/program on a chip), FPGAs, SONET, DWDM, wireless, telephony, GPS, telecommunications, aviation, satellites, optical communications
Deliverables: User Manuals (procedural), Administrator Manuals, Quick Start Guides, Installation Manuals, Command Line Guides, API and SDK references, Maintenance and Troubleshooting Guides, Labeling, Package Inserts and Packaging (conforming to FDA and 510K standards), Marketing Materials, Release Notes, Functional Specs, Application docs, PRDs, FRDs, business plans, proposals, RFPs, RFQs, presentations, data sheets, white papers, and ads. Create graphics & take screenshots.
Databases: Oracle, SAP, SQL
Sr. Technical Writer
- Writing and updating various install, admin, user manuals and documents, release notes on firewalls, cloud, email, and network security.
- Work closely with software and hardware engineering.
- Conduct document reviews - customer interaction as required.
- Writing short- and long-form descriptions (for technical and nontechnical audience) for new online store - chemical and blood analyzers and devices and genomics products . (FDA 510k). SAP usage.
- I have a very strong medical and medical apparatus background.
- I have been hands-on with many types of apparatus. At Agilent, which was only a few months ago, I not only had the opportunity to work in the lab with some of the actual products
- I was writing about, but in some instances, I was also involved in assembling and disassembling the product(s) so as to make my descriptions and instructions clear.
- All of my writing was done with collaboration of the SMEs and to conform to government regulations. Final approval came from legal.
Sr. Technical Writer
- Researched, wrote, and updated software, hardware, installation, user manuals for next-generation optical transport and access systems for broadband networks supporting convergence of video, data and voice applications (wireless and landline)
- Worked closely with software, marketing, sales, and field service teams, and with multi-national teams and customers
- Created Quick Remedies for Customer Service
- Wrote Application Notes; researched and verified marketing materials
- Installed and tested systems
- Wrote and edited web content
Manager of Global Technical Publications/Senior Technical Writer (staff)
- Documented network security/IP management software platform and security add-ons, including intrusion detection and interception, anomaly detection, and mediation features in wireless and wired environments. Held security clearance
- Created original documents and online help from hands-on use, PRDs, functional specs, use cases, developers, QA, tech support and product team
- Created and maintained documentation metrics and intranet
- Interfaced with engineering teams and QA in India, England, and Sunnyvale
- Maintained close communication with India team documenting APIs and SDKs
- Hired, directed, and monitored contract technical writers and illustrators creating highly technical training deliverables
Senior Technical Writer/Publications Manager, Ethernet Division (staff)
- Assessed documentation needs and developed to plan
- Worked with marketing, engineering/test, and field engineering to develop documentation sets for gateway appliances, SOCs, telecommunications boards, VoIP, streaming voice and multimedia video, 3-and 5-port switches and for Gigabit Ethernet (L2, 3,4,) processors and networking switches and routers - HW and SW (CLI, embedded ASIC, and Web Management Interface)
- Used products hands-on while documenting. Developed Release Notes/Errata, flyers, data sheets, product pages, applications notes, and other marketing collateral
- Performed competitive market analyses
- Handled localization and worked with off-shore team and partners
- Used FrameMaker, some InDesign, PageMaker, Visio, Illustrator, and Photoshop in addition to MS Word. Hired and monitored contractors.
Publications Manager/Senior Technical Writer (staff)
- A networking security startup. Identified documentation needs, wrote documentation plan, and executed beyond plan
- Researched and gathered material, wrote, developed templates, formatted, and produced 20+ guides and documents (updates additional); wrote and developed online help and training materials
- Developed and handled release notes
- Additional marcom responsibilities. Worked with GUI designer on product interface development - created and edited labels for NMS and visible CLI code
- Highly technical subject matter
- Outsourced as needed -hired and managed contract writers and illustrator. Worked with SW and HW. Utilized VMware as a virtual machine - also wrote installation and configuration guide for VMware. (Selective packet processing.)
- Responsible for documenting EDI enterprise supply chain security management application for UNIX and PC platforms
- Identified documentation needs and wrote Documentation Plan
- Executed Documentation Plan. Documented Network Security Enterprise Supply Management Chain application for UNIX/LINUX and PC users
- Designed and Wrote Install, Administration, User Guides, and application- as well as web-based online help. Outsourced as needed
Product Manager/Publications Manager (staff)
- Built publications department from ground up for innovative optical telecommunications start-up, working with marketing, sales, and engineering to assess documentation/training needs and to successfully define and execute program.
- Hired, trained, and evaluated staff.
- Created publication plans, courseware, templates and styles guides; set up and maintained revision control.
- Managed and executed all technical communications efforts (working writer at times/manager) leveraging engineering docs for completion of critical customer manuals (courseware, test plans, and Installation, User/Operations, Provisioning, Field, Service, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting Guides, Release Notes, programmer docs and online help); Worked at alpha, beta, and general availability levels. Delivered format was traditional printed, CDs, and online (PDFs, WebWorks, and Dreamweaver). Handled all publication production and deliverables.
- Successfully managed all publications schedules and assignments on-time, on budget; stream-lined publications cycle and process, delivered documentation and training for key global customer in record time
- Drove development of white papers and data sheets including web placements for marketing organization. Created and delivered sales training via WebEx and CDs
- Contributor to RFIs, RFPs, and PDRs
Product Manager/Publications Manager
- Completed phase out of external out-sourcing agency for metro optical company, creating company’s first internal publications department.
- Built and managed publications and instructional design/training team responsible for all print, online, and CD-ROM-based technical documentation and training.
- Wrote installation manual for Storage Area Networks (SAN)
- Developed and wrote (hardware and software) Getting Started, Installation, Operations, Administration, Provisioning, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting Guides (CLI, Craft, NMS/EMS) using FrameMaker, RoboHELP, WebHelp, and HTML; Posted to Web; Reported, assigned, and tracked bugs; Developed Release Notes; Handled Localization
- Completed 10 customer manuals (for General Availability) in four months time
- Successfully developed customized courseware and training for service providers
Sr. Technical Writer
- Responsible for creating, writing, and editing manuals and training for newly acquired helpdesk application (Magic) and Zero Administration Client.
- Hired, trained, managed departmental staff of 8 with company-wide collaborative authority.
- Successfully completed online, CD-ROM-based, and printed documentation (“Getting Started,” User, Administration, Customization, Option Packs, Telephony, and Installation Guides, Release Notes plus programmer docs, including APIs/SDKs) using FrameMaker, RoboHELP, Word, Acrobat, and HTML
- Tested applications while documenting; Reported, assigned, and tracked “bugs,” helping engineering to reduce time to manufacturing