- To provide written material and/or facilitate publication of articles in a timely fashion, while providing excellent copyediting skills to ensure grammatical and typographical correctness and consistent style usage.
- To continue to grow in leadership, knowledge, and project management skills, as well as to interact and share with team members and colleagues.
Confidential Washington, DC Copy Editor December 2006-Present
- Copyedit for style, consistency, and other grammatical issues while also resolving validation errors for XML for journal articles and working with authors on every article and determined when to ask author to supply copyright permission for figures or tables. From 2010 to 2012, weekly page averages increased by 19.3%.
- Requested, and was assigned, to copy edit as part of the Eos (weekly newspaper with daily deadlines) and Reviews of Geophysics (prestigious invited-paper journal) teams (2011).
- Promoted to head copy editor of Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans (fastest-growing and one of the largest AGU journals, 2008) and copy editor of Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres (the largest AGU journal, 2010).
- Mark up of XML, HTML, and PDF article proofs to include author and proofreader comments and ensure quality composition and proper validation at proof stage.
- Communicate with authors, fellow members of Editorial Services department, and members of other publishing departments to resolve questions and problems.
- Special projects: Training new team members, monitoring Editorial Services Questions inbox and answering any incoming questions, training fellow team members on a new content management system, and creation and upkeep of new technology guide for departmental use.
Proofreader December 2005-December 2006
- Proofed AGU’s scientific journal articles, newspaper articles, and tables of contents and indices for grammatical, typographical, compositional, and other errors in XML, HTML, and PDF formats.
- Worked on daily, morning deadline to ensure final review of articles was complete for online publication.
- Assisted in keeping the publishing model moving in a timely manner.
- Communicated with fellow members of Editorial Services department and members of other departments to resolve questions and problems.
Confidential Washington, DC
Intern January 2005-May 2005
- Updated and edited the Directory of Women’s Media and contact list through research and communication with contacts, associates, and public to ensure accurate information.
- Researched for and wrote articles.
- Assistedin completion of a new cataloging system.
Confidential Annapolis, MD Group Leader (during school breaks) August 2001-September 2005
- Developed lesson plans.
- Planned and provided educational activities and trips.
- Took responsibility for the general welfare of the children.
Skills and Experience
- Contributing writer to the Council of Science Editors (CSE) magazine Science Editor.
- Experience with multiple specialized technical style guides and familiarity with publishing procedures/practices and Chicago,MLA, and AP styles.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro,LaTeX,eXtyles,MathType,WinEdit,UltraEdit,oXygen, and CUPC.
- Proven research skills including using libraries and databasessuch as Library of Congress, WorldCat, CASSI, and CrossRef.
- Excellent critical thinking, communication, editing, typing, and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with content management systems, remote working, social media platforms, and Adobe Photoshop.
Education and Training
- B.A. in English Language and Literature
- Member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Member of CSE
- Attended 2012 CSE Annual Meeting and 2011 Association of American Publishers, Inc. Professional/Scholarly Publishing Division Journals Reboot Camp.
- Attended the Copyright Clearance Center’s Copyright for Today’s Dynamic Publishing Environment class (2009).
- Completed the Go System (organizational skills) class
- Completed five Softek classes on Microsoft Excel and Word 2010