Technical writer for software and hardware, including technical manuals, end-user and installation guides, tutorials, online and context-sensitive Help. Nine years of experience documenting software and electro-mechanical devices; subjects include manufacturing, public emergency radio, and computer-assisted turbomachinery design.
Help tools: RoboHelp for WinHelp and HTML; Madcap Flare for HTML Help.
Desktop publishing: FrameMaker, Acrobat, MS Word and MS Office, Quadralay Webworks.
Graphics: Illustrator, Visio, SnagIt, Corel Designer, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop.
Familiarity: XML, UNIX, C++, SQL, Dreamweaver, Frontpage, What's This? Help, QuarkXpress, Perforce (source control).
Senior technical writer/Technical writer-editor, Concepts NREC, Confidential, VT
- Write and edit HTML Help for all design programs (meridional and 3D turbomachinery design, stress analysis, and computer-assisted manufacturing).
- Write and edit tutorials and user guides.
- Manage foreign language versions of online Help (Russian and Japanese).
- Test user interface and write bug reports for all programs; interview software developers.
- Create supplementary materials for Help documentation, including Powerpoint slides and pdfs.
- Revise documentation according to criteria of sales and documentation departments; manage document source control.
- Edit SBIRs, ASME conference papers, and newsletters.
- Write document plans, manage all documentation projects.
Technical writer, Confidential, Newfield, ME/Billerica, MA
- Wrote and edited installation-operation manuals for end-users and field personnel.
- Documented network processor for system administrators, including instructions for maintaining database of system users and radio subscribers;
- Wrote user interface manual for public safety radio dispatchers, installation and operation manuals for field personnel;
- Interviewed engineers and field technicians, also consulted with QA.
- Created and edited Visio graphics describing network architecture and process flow.
- Subjects included public safety radio, database maintenance, hardware setup, software installation, and radio-repeater alignment.
- Maintained records of documentation archives.
Technical writer, Confidential , Auburn, Maine
- Wrote standard operating procedures for the plant; interviewed line crews and technical departments; photographed equipment and procedures; designed page layout and templates; revised material specifications database.
Technical writer, Confidential, Gorham, Maine
- Wrote documentation for all products, including manuals and start-up guides for digital and analog tension controllers, brakes, clutches, and software interfaces.
- Designed templates for all documentation, in consultation with sales and marketing departments.
- Created all graphics and screen scots.
- Produced foreign language manuals (language versions included French, German, and Spanish).
- Tested software and hardware.
- Revised brochure copy and advertorials for marketing department and company web site.
Instructor, Department of English, Confidential at Orono
- Taught Technical Writing and College Composition
- Lead computer-assisted classes (Mac/OS)
Instructor in rhetoric and composition, Department of English, Confidential, Athens, GA
- Implemented Internet classroom programs, Web bulletin boards and chat rooms;
- Lead computer-assisted classes (IBM PC/Windows);
Copy editor, Confidential, 1 Penn Plaza, NYC
- Copy edited books, journals, and newsletters for Business and Industry, Accounting and Law divisions.
- Prepared and coded manuscript files for desktop publishing (SGML and QuarkXpress); indexed book manuscript.
- Wrote progress reports on book manuscript for production staff.
- Consulted with editors on style for journals and newsletters.