Summary of Qualifications
- Senior Staff Technical Writer with extensive experience in writing and editing software and hardware end-user manuals, online help, simulation and training guides, tutorials, white papers, reports, e-learning curriculum, operation and maintenance (O & M) manuals, Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs) , website content, blogs, resumes, policies and procedures, proposals, and product descriptions for e-Commerce sites
- Ten years experience as a Technical Publications and Communications Manager
- Strong English grammar skills for clear, concise, and detail-oriented writing
- Secret Security Clearance with extensive technical writing and technical editing experience for the Department of Defense
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Professional, open source software, and myriad desktop publishing, graphics, and website publishing software, including FrameMaker, Acrobat Professional, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Evolution, RoboHELP, Word,
- SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Writer, Gimp, ClearQuest, XLP, Arbortext Editor, FileZilla, Vim, XML, Notepad ++, Firebug
- Reliable, creative, self-starting team player and leader with excellent research and communication skills
- ADDIE, CMMI, ISO-9001, SCORM, S1000D, Information Mapping, MIL-STD MIL-STD-40051-1, MIL-STD-40051-2, MIL-STD-2361B, MIL-STD 38784, and MIL-HDBK-1222C, APA, DoD and DoD Components Regulatory Documents, Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL) for the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines
- Over a decade managing a freelance communications business at www.writewaydesigns.com
- Consistent delivery of accurate, user-friendly documentation on time and within budget
- Comfortable in Windows, Web, Mac, OS/2, Mainframe, and Linux environments
- Bilingual English/Spanish with extensive experience in technical translation, interpretation, training, and tutoring
Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe RoboHELP, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft PowerPoint, FullShot, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, SnagIt, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Project, HTML, CSS, (X)HTML, Evolution, XLP, VIM, Notepad ++, Firebug, FileZilla, Open Office Writer and Draw, Gimp
Staff Technical Writer
- Editing, updating, and processing documentation for human serum analysis instruments in compliance with FDA regulations.
- Editing and updating test procedures and inspection summary reports for multiple disciplines in the Hematology R&D/Diagnostics division.
- ISO 9001 / 13485
- Using Microsoft Office, ClearQuest, and various internal content management and process flow software applications including MIRAGE and CPDM.
Senior Technical Writer Consultant
- Wrote end-user software documentation for the HACCP Food Safety Audit Software used at all food establishments on Disney property throughout the world
- Created software Functional Requirements Document (FRD)
- Created department Style Guide and Glossary Captivate
- Used Microsoft Word 2007, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Visio, SnagIt, and Adobe
Senior Product Information Analyst/Senior Technical Writer
Patrick Air Force Base, Florida
- Secret Security Clearance
- Documented technical orders for sustainment logistics of USAF Launch and Test Range (LTRS) equipment on the Spacelift Range System Contract (SLRSC), including delivering effective and sustainable systems to launch ranges at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Kennedy Space Center, Vandenberg Air Force Base, and a number of remote locations
- Followed SCORM, S1000D, MIL-STD 38784
- Developed, sustained, and managed LTRS technical manuals on SLRSC contract for the program’s technical manual development and ongoing initiatives for L-3 in the aerospace and defense industry
- Developed, sustained, and distributed USAF technical manuals for seismic, communications, and remote power systems.
- Worked closely with design engineers, technicians, government representatives, and USAF personnel to develop technical content
- Used Structured and Unstructured Adobe FrameMaker 8, Acrobat Professional, CS4 Illustrator, Microsoft Word 2007, Microsoft Excel, and Arbortext Editor
- Wrote, edited, and maintained proposals, policies and procedures, technical reports, end-user software and hardware manuals, operator manuals, training guides, tutorials, online help, context-sensitive help, technical specifications installation guides, articles, white papers, blogs, newsletters, website content and design, e-books, marketing copy for e-commerce websites; usability and regression testing of software applications; logo and graphic design, illustration, photography, photo editing, and cartoons; and translating technical documentation to Spanish
- Gathered business requirements and documented content in a language understood by both IT and business teams
- Developed use cases, including documenting process flows, business rules, tasking, notifications, and articulated overall functionality
- Followed established methodologies in all stages of the instructional design process, including needs assessment, analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation (ADDIE)
- Followed ADDIE, CMMI, ISO-9001, SCORM, Information Mapping, MIL-STD MIL-STD-40051-1, MIL-STD-40051-2, MIL-STD-2361B, and MIL-HDBK-1222C, APA, and Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL)
- Wrote and translated (English/Spanish) commercial and residential real estate articles for a mortgage software website
- Trained clients on how to use Microsoft Word, Windows 7, and HTML
QA Editor/Senior Technical Writer Consultant
- Proofread, spot checked, and edited e-learning curriculum, operation and maintenance (O & M) manuals, and Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs) for the military
- Used Evolution, SharePoint, Dreamweaver, XHTML, HTML, XLP, XML, and myriad in-house products
- Followed MIL-STD, SCORM, Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL) for the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines, and other established methodologies and standards of both the military and the instructional design process, including needs assessment, analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation (ADDIE)
- Coordinated efforts and schedules with programmers, graphic artists, project managers, instructional designers, and quality assurance editors
Senior Technical Writer/Business Analyst Consultant
Orlando, Florida (2009)
- Wrote business requirements, use cases, test scripts, process flows, training guides, and user manuals
- Tested Mainframe, Web, and Windows-based software
- Used Microsoft Office Professional, Visual Studio, and myriad open source desktop publishing and graphics applications for Windows XP
Senior Technical Writer Consultant
- Wrote and maintained Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs) and operation and maintenance (O & M) manuals for simulation tools used in military exercises
- Followed MIL-STD-40051-1, MIL-STD-40051-2, MIL-STD-2361B, and MIL-HDBK-1222C, and the Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL) for the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines
- Used Microsoft Word 2003, Adobe Structured FrameMaker 8, Adobe PhotoShop, Microsoft Photo Editor, ClearQuest, XML, and Arbortext Editor
Documentation Specialist Consultant
- In the Timeshare Division, documented and maintained policies and procedures in SharePoint for Contact Center employees and trainers in the Learning & Development department
- Coordinated efforts with the Communications, Knowledge Management, and Legal departments
- Used Adobe Creative Suite CS3, Microsoft Office Professional, Microsoft SharePoint and Project, SnagIt, Mainframe, HTML, XHTML, and CSS
Technical Publications (Tech Pubs) Supervisor
- Saved division 25% by implementing PDFs for distribution to replace printing, binding, and shipping documentation
- Promoted from Senior Technical Writer to Technical Publications Supervisor in 2000
- Effectively managed and coordinated project schedules, assignments, time cards, performance appraisals, training, and budget
- Provided final sign-off approval for all Tech Pubs documentation and communication
- Hired, trained, coached, counseled and evaluated performance of direct reports and contractors.
- Developed and set individual and departmental team goals and managed/drove change.
- Developed, directed and coordinated financial and budget activities to fund training and tools and maximize efficiency in the Tech Pubs department.
- Allocated and directed resources, including assigning work to deliver documentation effectively and efficiently.
- Evaluated and reported effectiveness of Tech Pubs standards and prepared recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Established and implemented Tech Pubs department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Monitored deliverables, assignments, performance, training, outcomes, and results to reinforce departmental accountability.
- Developed and conducted training/presentations to promote technical writer career growth and improve standards and deliverables to the organization and end user community.
- Developed and cultivated professional relationships with key internal & external partners/organizations.
- Fostered and maintained relationships with key stakeholders including division and organizational partners, business analysts, project managers, senior management, and the Legal division.
- Provided analysis, advice, and consultation to senior management.
- Supported strategic organizational projects by providing editorial counsel, review and/or support to the Legal, Human Resources, and Training divisions and Senior management.
- Recruited, trained, and worked with senior and junior technical writers, contractors, and other employees to ensure key parties were utilized efficiently within each function.
- Provided leadership as Lead Writer and Editor for external and internal end-user software manuals, training guides and materials, installation guides, online help.
- Coordinated documentation schedules with project managers, test teams, help desk teams, and Legal counsel.
- Successfully troubleshooted issues with Adobe FrameMaker files, RoboHELP, and Adobe Acrobat PDFs.
- Created end-user software documentation, policies and procedures, and training guides.
- Trained contractors on department standards and clients and contractors on how to use online help, Dreamweaver, and HTML.
- Attended in-house training to enhance managerial skills and technical knowledge of internal and customer applications.
- Wrote, submitted and edited articles to the company newsletters.
- Provided editorial feedback for letters, memo and other miscellaneous documentation throughout the organization.
- Provided backup support for QA software testing, regression testing, and user acceptance testing of Web, Windows, and Mainframe software applications.
Senior Technical Writer
Confidential, Heathrow, Florida
- Created online help, end-user software manuals, and training guides and materials
- Wrote and edited white papers, use cases, technical bulletins, reports, and training materials
- Conducted usability and migration testing of software applications and documentation in collaboration with engineers, graphic designers, and other writers
- Designed software tool buttons and help layout
- Wrote Style Guides for departments
- Interviewed customers and subject matter experts for audience analysis
Technical Translator Consultant
- Together with translation team created a standard Technical Spanish Glossary
- Translated end-user software manuals, software screens, reports, and presentations from English to Spanish
- Edited, formatted, and maintained proposals
- Wrote and maintained reports
- Translated proposals and letters for international clients
Technical Writer Intern
- Researched, wrote and maintained policies and procedures